Thursday, November 6, 2014

LATELY I HAVE BEEN DRAWING AND I AM ENJOYING IT

CROPPED SECTION FROM 14x17 DRAWING  'THE FRIGHTENED SOUL'
graphite on paper  2014  (c) Loren Fidalgo
Hey guys... something to share with you.
 Lately I have been drawing in my sketchbook alot and I have to say that I am really enjoying it so much.  There is something so meditative about sketching with a graphite pencil and kneaded eraser. Currently,  I am taking a class at Fleisher Art Memorial called Observation, Memory and Imagination.  The instructor is John and he is so fascinating to talk to and has an interesting technique to create drawings and paintings from small scribble drawings that grow out of the subconscious. Since I have taken this class before, I never really understood what I was doing in the class until this semester.  I have really found somewhat of my voice in these small scribble drawings.
'COMFORTING EACH OTHER'  4 1/4 x 5 1/2
graphite on paper
2014  (c) Loren Fidalgo 
Most of my sketches usually come out to be a face or head of some kind and they are filled with emotion and expression. I realize that for some reason I keep going back to this subject. Previously, I was creating faces that were mostly women that were happy, sad and also had lots of emotions in between.  Now I am creating more animated faces that are crying out or looking as if they are lost, vacant and scared.  Their eyes and mouths are revealing the distress and despair that they are experiencing.
'GRIEVING WOMAN & LAUGHING FOE'  4 1/4 x 5 1/2
graphite on paper
2014 (c) Loren Fidalgo
  I never really found a lot of passion from drawing in graphite. I found it to take too long to achieve the desired effect I wanted.  I felt overwhelmed by the pencil while I was trying to cover alot of surface area. I wanted to see my direction much more quickly.  But recently, I have fallen 'in love' with these little drawings.
'HOLDING ON'  4 1/4 x 51/2  graphite on paper
2014 (c) Loren Fidalgo
 The original image that is featured up top is titled, 'THE FRIGHTENED SOUL 'and is 14x17. It is inspired from a selection of small sketches.  I love the way it came out with the darks and lights all in shades of greys.  I think I will continue with these drawings and I want to eventually paint them out on canvas.  I am totally unsure what they will look like and if they will capture the graphite and paper feel however I will give it a go.  I am just lovin these drawings, I can't say enough about them and I probably won't in the near future.
'PEERING FROM BEHIND' 41/4x51/2
graphite on paper
2014 (c) Loren Fidalgo
 Thanks for reading and feel free to leave a comment if you like.  I'd love to hear what others feel about drawing in graphite pencil on paper.
Cheers,
Loren  

No comments:

Post a Comment

hello